Faculty Profile: Andrew Stevens

Lex Keegan Jiganti ’19

Andrew Stevens, the newest member of Concord Academy’s English Department hails from Michigan but came to CA by way of Mississippi and Alabama.

Stevens is a recent alumnus of the University of Alabama’s College of Arts and Sciences Graduate Program where earned a Masters in creative writing. While he earned his masters, he taught creative writing to undergraduates and earned a special accommodation from the school for his exploratory teaching in the composition and creative writing.

At this time Stevens also taught with the Alabama Arts and Education Project, a program which brings teachers from the University of Alabama to prisons to teach those whom are incarcerated. Stevens taught creative writing as well as science fiction to inmates in the Alabama Department of Corrections.  

Stevens is currently teaching Freshman English where he is energized by the fresh material, particularly teaching Homer. To Stevens, CA also feels unique because of its diverse array of electives. He will experience his first forray into electives next semester as he will be teaching the upper level Text Me: Technology, Community, and the Self class with English teacher Nick Hiebert.This course will delve into identity in the world of technology and what it means to be human.

Stevens enjoys a variety of work from the modernist nihilism of Cormac Mccarthy to lighter fare such as Tana French, a Irish detective novel writer. Stevens also likes the genre of detective novels from the fifties as know as Pulp Fiction. Stevens intermixes different genres when reading to break up monotony.

Stevens believes that the most special thing about CA is the tradition of chapels and the forum that chapels provide for a space for reflection as students move through their time at the school.

“Chapels are my favorite, getting to hear students reflect on a huge chunk of time with a lot of development in it and hearing what people have to say on that is pretty powerful and is pretty unique and rare,” he said.