An Introduction to CA’s Winter Sports Season

Lily Gray '20

The Concord Academy winter sports season began on November 16th and team tryouts ended on Monday, November 20th. Now that the teams have been chosen, athletes are ready to begin competing against other schools when they return from Thanksgiving break.

CA has 9 competitive sports teams in the winter which are: girls and boys alpine skiing, girls and boys varsity squash, girls varsity and junior varsity (JV) basketball, boys varsity and JV Basketball, and coed varsity wrestling. Intramural teams and fitness classes are offered as well, including a newly offered class called mixed martial arts with faculty member Shawn Bartok.

CA’s winter sports team are very strong and had many successes last year. Girls varsity squash earned a banner in their 2016-17 season, for winning the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) tournament. Both girls and boys skiing also had strong seasons, bringing home 3rd place NEPSAC trophies.

Also during the winter season, CA competes in the aptly named “Battle of Lexington and Concord” against Lexington Christian Academy. Girls varsity and JV basketball, and boys varsity and JV basketball compete in the Battle. Although CA had a close loss last year with a score of  3-2, this year’s impressive teams are seeking a win. CA sports are coming off an amazing fall sports season with many athletes and teams winning individual and group honors, and the athletic department is excited for a hopefully similar winter season!