Overview of Field Day

By Samantha Davidson ‘19

On May 4th 2018, the whole school gathered in the chapel for an unordinary mid-morning meeting. After sitting for quite some time, Head of School Rick Hardy shared a tale about a school tradition that ended here at Concord Academy when the school became coed. It was called Red and Blue day or Field Day. The school would divide into two colors: red and blue where the two teams battled each other in a variety of fun and competitive activities. After Hardy’s speech, Student Head of School Kaity Goodwin ‘18, and Student Vice Head of School Theo Nuñez ‘18, revealed the activities of the day. Each student received a document entailing which team color and smaller groups they were a part of, and after grabbing a red or blue shirt to show their pride, the students headed off to the quad.

To kick off the event, students hung out by the upper field noshing on hot dogs, veggie burgers, and watermelon as other students prepared for the one mile fun run. For those not running, team flags were placed on the quad waiting to be painted. After the run ended, the red and blue color groups split into their smaller groups to compete in the other activities.

First, there was the sponge game, where students had to dip a sponge in one bucket, carry it across the grass, and squeeze it out into another bucket. Despite the seemingly straightforward rules, some students decided to hold the water in their mouth and spit it out on the other side, creating a slightly gross but effective strategy. There were also classic field day events such as a three-legged race, a game of corn hole, and the quad favorite, spike ball. The  best activity of the day, however, was a game with the teachers. This game involved Dean of Students, Sally Zimmerli. Zimmerli was blindfolded and held a water gun as she listened to her fellow colleagues that told her where to aim in order to get one of the students wet before they grabbed a ball that was placed near to her. The game took skill, strategy, teamwork, and quick feet.

An anonymous quote from the feedback survey left a raving review about how the day was not only “A great inter-grade bonding experience [but] also nicely involved the faculty into the fun!”.

To end the day, both red and blue teams gathered  on the quad to cheer on their peers in a final activity: tug’o’war. First, five freshman girls and five freshman boys on each team faced off, and the blue team won. Then, the red team sophomores won. Following the sophomores, the blue team juniors were triumphant, and lastly the red team seniors were victorious. Both teams ended on a tie, until Goodwin announced that a group of girls and boys from all the grades would face-off.  With the help of people chanting “1, 2, pull” around us, and hyping us up the blue team came out victorious in the competition.

Upon contacting Goodwin she explained how she hopes “that [Red vs. Blue Day] becomes an annual event and will still be happening when I come back to CA for my reunions. I hope that the element of surprise stays, and I’m interested to see how they will pull that off. Eventually, students will get suspicious and speculate, so they’ll have to come up with new ways to reveal the day.” We will all have to wait until next year to see if the surprise of Red vs. Blue day results in the blue team becoming victorious once again.