Dame Vivian Hunt, DBE, ’85 Profile

By Rylie Robinson ‘21

This year, Concord Academy is delighted to host Dame Vivian Hunt, DBE, ‘85, a leading businesswoman who has succeeded in diversifying her field, to speak at today’s commencement.

Currently working as a lead management consultant at McKinsey & Company, Hunt went to Harvard college where she got her MBA from Harvard Business school. At McKinsey & Company,  Hunt helps businesses, governments, organizations, and nonprofits make beneficial decisions in all areas to strengthen their practices. Hunt works in the UK and Ireland offices of Mckinsey & Company and specializes in performance transformation, improving the performance rate and quality of companies, and organizational development. She previously led the Pharmaceuticals and Medical Products Practice, which helps companies in all areas relating to medicine, from research to advertising. Hunt holds positions on several boards. To name a few, she is apart of the Global Board of Directors and Values Committee for McKinsey, and the CBI London Council and Mayor of London’s Business Advisory Board in the greater area of Britain.

Hunt has used her extensive experiences in business and management to step forward as a leader in diversity in the firm, which has made an impact in the greater community of business. She has co-written multiple articles on the topic of diversity and gender equality, including “Women Matter,” “Diversity Matters,” and “The Power of Parity: How advancing women’s equality can add $12 trillion to global growth.”

In addition to these works, Hunt and her team have conducted a diversity study in 300 companies across seven markets. Her findings statistically prove that having more diverse leadership in high places drastically improves the performance of companies across the board. Companies that lack diversity in positions of power do not do as well as those which have people of color or women in power.

“…you have to move beyond tokenism. One woman in your board of directors, one person from a more diverse background, one non european … may not correlate strongly with better decision making … you have to have genuine diversity of debate. The minimum won’t do,” she says as she comments on her results.

Hunt has been appointed Dame of the Order of the British Empire for the positive impact she has made in business in regards to gender and diversity. We are very excited to hear what advice she has to share with us, and congratulations to the class of 2018!