Faculty Profile: Emma Storbeck

Sarah Heuer ’22

Emma Storbeck is a new history teacher at Concord Academy whose focus is Latin America. She said she adored the school as soon as she interviewed. Not only did the teachers and students make her feel welcomed during her demo class, the community also seemed like a place where she could be herself and teach whatever she was passionate about. Storbeck went to Brown University as an undergraduate where she majored in Portuguese and Brazilian Studies and got her masters in secondary education.

Growing up, Storbeck didn’t know what she wanted to be. She had various jobs like babysitting, dog walking, tutoring, and she even worked in a bakery. In college, Storbeck had a few amazing professors that prompted her to be interested in the field of education. Immediately, Storbeck knew that she wanted to teach high school students because growing up she always lived in her older brother’s shadow. Being referred to as “Jesse’s little sister,” Storbeck never really felt as if she had her own voice. As a teacher she hopes to help students learn how to fully express themselves, so they never leave out parts of their identity to please others. Storbeck feels as if high schoolers have so much potential to make an impact on the world. Especially at CA, she has noticed that students are excited and passionate about learning and completely engaged in the welcoming and friendly community. Storbeck told me she particularly does not want them to fall in the trap that she did when she was in high school.

Having studied Portuguese and Brazilian studies in college, Storbek’s main area of expertise is Latin America. The topic intrigues her because she wants to tell the untold histories expressed from new and diverse perspectives. This is something she wished she learned in high school because it was a powerful awakening as a white woman in college. These new perspectives also had an enormous impact on how she perceives the past. For parts of her childhood, Storbeck lived in São Paulo, Brazil with family-friends and took Portuguese classes at a local language school. She immediately fell in love with this place so far away from her home. Between high school and college, Storbeck took one year off and could not wait to return to Brazil. She first worked in a home for mentally and physically disabled young adults and worked in a daycare facility for young kids after.

Although she spent most of her childhood outside of Philadelphia, Storbeck says that “It was really the place where [she] feel[s] [she] most grew up”. However, Brazil was also the first place where Storbeck attended a protest and declared herself as being queer. Since then, Storbeck has returned to Brazil numerous times and each time she feels the same sense of welcome as she did the first time she arrived. Now at CA, Storbeck teaches Latin American History,  course for freshman and sophomores about Latin America portrayed from different perspectives, and “The History of Brazil”, a course that focuses on understanding and dismantling mainstream narratives about colonial Brazil in recognition of individuals who have been silenced and marginalized throughout history.