Faculty Profile: Alyse Ruiz

Casey Bakarani ’22

New Director of Student Life Alyse Ruiz was born in the Bronx, New York and raised in Palm Bay, Florida until the end of eighth grade when she decided to come to Concord Academy. During her time at CA she enjoyed being a part of Alianza Latina, serving as Sophomore class president, and participating in the CA community. Ruiz also enjoyed taking an African American Literature class taught by Kirsten Hoyte. After she graduated from CA in 2005, Ruiz went to Brown University and majored in Urban Studies. After college she moved back to Florida to teach at a charter school where she was the chair of the school’s English Department. Before coming to CA, Ruiz taught at a semester away program called City Term in New York City for four years.

After high school, Ruiz kept in contact with the CA community. “I was moving on from CITYterm and CA had a need, so it ended up working out that I got to come back here,” she said. Ruiz realized that she wanted to come back to CA because she felt like it was a good time since the school was making a lot of changes in all departments and also felt as though it would be a great opportunity to work with new and familiar members of the community.  

This year, the school welcomes back Ruiz as both a new and familiar member of the CA community; just like many of us, she has had to adjust to many things.

“I’m asking [myself] a million questions” Ruiz said. She mentioned how her experiences from being a student first and then being a member of the faculty are different while some other aspects are the same. For example, Ruiz now sees how things work behind the scenes and how much effort people really put into all of the activities and events that happen on campus.

Now as the Director of Student Life, she is involved in planning activities and working with clubs and organizations in addition to working part time in the College Counseling office, training and observing so that next year she will have her first group of juniors.

Ruiz couldn’t be happier to return to the community:  “This community is guided by common trust, where students have a voice and shape what happens in the community in a way that feels authentic.”