Brett Kavanaugh

Marina He’ 20

The past few weeks have been high with political activity surrounding sexual assault accusations against Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. Dr. Christine Blasey Ford was first to raise allegations against Kavanaugh, when she stated that he had sexually assaulted her at a high school party in July. Since then, two other women, Deborah Ramirez and Julie Swetnick, have also publicly accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct during his high school and college years. Kavanaugh has stauntly denied these accusations and both him and Dr. Ford testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday, September 6th.

Dr. Christine Ford, a research psychologist and psychology professor, describes the painful night in which she was sexually assaulted by Brett Kavanaugh and his friend Mark Judge at a high school party. In her opening statement, Dr. Ford says: “I believed [Kavanaugh] was going to rape me. I tried to yell for help. When I did, Brett put his hand over my mouth to stop me from screaming. This was what terrified me the most, and has had the most lasting impact on my life.”  When asked to describe what she remembered most from that night, Dr. Ford says, “Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two and having fun at my expense.

In his opening statement, Kavanaugh defended himself, pointing out that all four of Dr. Ford’s sources for corroboration were not able to recollect the event. He pointed to his calendars, in which he began keeping since 9th grade as evidence for his innocence, claiming that on the alleged weekend he assaulted her that, “As the calendars confirm, that weekend before a brutal football training camp schedule was no time for parties.” He clarified that he was not denying Dr. Ford as a victim of sexual assault, but that he was not the assaulter.

He expressed his dismay over the fact that the hearing occurred ten days after Dr. Ford’s accusation became public, stating, “In those 10 long days, as was predictable and as I predicted, my family and my name have been totally and permanently destroyed by vicious and false additional accusations. The 10-day delay has been harmful to me and my family, to the Supreme Court and to the country.” However, when the Democrats questioned Kavanaugh about an FBI investigation, Kavanaugh either diverged from the question or turned the question back to the Democrats, either stating that he believed the Judiciary Court will resolve this case or that the investigation should be determined by the Judiciary Court.

Kavanaugh called the confirmation process “a national disgrace” claiming that “there’s been a frenzy on the left to come up with something, anything to block my confirmation.” since Trump nominated him for Supreme Court in July. Kavanaugh openly criticized the Democrats, accusing them of carefully orchestrating the two weeks as  “a long series of false last-minute smears designed to scare me and drive me out of the process before any hearing occurred.” And the reason for these efforts from the Democrats, according to Kavanaugh? Anger from Trump’s election, revenge for the Clintons, and funding from left-wing oppositionists.

Kavanaugh made it clear that he will not be stepping down as a nominee for Supreme Court, stating “Your coordinated and well-funded efforts to destroy my good name and destroy my family will not drag me out. The vile threats of violence against my family will not drive me out.” “I will not be intimidated into withdrawing from the process.”

This hearing exposed Kavanaugh’s nature, drawing negative light to his judicial reputation. His aggressive criticism of the Democrats shows a strong political bias and partiality that should not be appropriate for a candidate for the Supreme Court. In addition, the topic of drinking raises questions about Kavanaugh’s honesty. He made it clear during the hearing that although he “liked beers” that he never drunk to the point in which he could not remember what had occurred the night before. However, Dr. Ford, in her accusation, states that Kavanaugh and Judge were heavily impaired the night of the assault. Furthermore, since the hearing, many who have known Kavanaugh from his high school and college years have come forth with statements claiming that Kavanaugh had been a heavy drinker, “a mean drunk” “a sloppy drunk,” painting a completely different picture of Kavanaugh than man Kavanaugh described himself to be during the hearing. Thus, although the drinking itself is not a heavy issue, the fact that Kavanaugh may have been dishonest about this small matter, raises doubt to his own honesty and his judgement.

Since the hearing, the Senate’s vote to confirm Kavanaugh’s nomination was postponed by a week to Friday October 5th to allow an FBI investigation. However, the scope of the investigation has been very limited, and neither Kavanaugh nor Dr. Ford were interviewed. The Senate voted on October 5th and has allowed Kavanaugh to advance forward as a nominee. 1

1 Quotes from Dr. Ford and Kavanaugh were obtained from their opening statements

• Elle Magazine provided a link to Dr. Ford’s opening statement
  • The New York Times provided a transcript of Kavanaugh’s opening statement

Quotes about Kavanaugh were obtained from CNN interviews