70th Annual Emmy Awards

Vedika Sharma ’20

September 17th was television’s biggest night of the year: the 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, hosted by comedians Michael Che and Colin Jost. TV giants such as Netflix, Amazon, and HBO came together in the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles to celebrate their work from the past year.

In 2017, there were 61 academy-sanctioned events in New York and Los Angeles during Emmy campaigning season. This number spiked to 116 this year as networks raced to promote their shows. HBO and Netflix both ended the night with 23 Emmys each, making them tied for the top network —  a relief to HBO, as they still have the title of first place among all networks for 17 years and counting. As predicted, The Handmaid’s Tale walked away with 20 nominations and Westworld with 21. HBO’s Game of Thrones reigned with 9 awards and 22 nominations, the most wins of any TV show.

Peter Dinklage of Game of Thrones now holds the most nominations for Supporting Actor in the Drama Performance category, with seven total. In his acceptance speech, Dinklage recognized the creators of the show, David Benioff and Dan Weiss, saying, “Thank you, Dave and Dan, for changing my life. I cannot walk down the street anymore.” Dinklage, as usual, charmed the audience. Ted Danson of the hilarious yet political Netflix show, The Good Place, received his thirteenth nomination for the show, which is his record after his twenty-five distinguished years in comedy. After years of hard work, Matthew Rhys finally won best lead actor in a drama series for The Americans. Overnight sensation Claire Foy won best lead actress in a drama series for her final season of The Crown before passing the role of Queen Elizabeth II to Olivia Colman.

The nomination which arguably gained the most attention was Sandra Oh for Best Lead Actress in a Drama Series for Killing Eve. Part drama, thriller, and comedy, Killing Eve is often juxtaposed to the iconic Bond films with a twist.  Oh, the fan favorite from Grey’s Anatomy, is the first woman of Asian descent to be nominated in this category. Fans and critics believe that she is one of the most underrated actresses in Hollywood. Her nomination is of great significance to Asian-American audiences and the film industry. Seeing this representation in mainstream media is a long time coming.

Celebrities didn’t fail to impress on this year’s red carpet. Some of the best looks of the night include Tracee Ellis Ross in a dramatic, hot pink Valentino Haute Couture dress and Repossi jewelry, Vanessa Kirby in an elegant, nude, full-length bodycon Tom Ford dress with Chopard jewelry. A fan favorite, Emilia Clarke was dressed by Dior Haute Couture in a sheer black dress with a floral embellished skirt and Fernando Jorge jewelry, and Tiffany Haddish was dressed in a colorful, bold, flowing Atelier Prabal Gurung dress paired with Lorraine Schwartz jewelry.