What to Do on the Weekends at CA

Cynthia Jin ’22, Staff Writer

Weekends are never boring at Concord Academy. At CA, a multitude of unique trips and events is offered every single weekend, where students have the opportunity to explore activities on and off-campus. 

CA trips cover such a wide range that students can always find one for their own preferences. For those who opt for an exhilarating experience, ice skating, escape room, or bowling would be great activities to attend. Boda Borg is also an awesome option, as it provides a series of quests that challenge one both physically and mentally. On the other hand, those who are interested in performing and visual arts can visit museums, watch plays or attend a concert. There are also trips to popular restaurants, such as Minado, a Japanese buffet that serves a diverse selection of sushi and seafood. 

In addition to off-campus trips, CA also organizes fun events on campus. SHAC night is one of the classics, during which students gather in the SHAC to enjoy snacks, music, and games, offering the community a great chance to relax and socialize. Dances, such as White Out and semi-formal, are held around three times a year. CA’s performing arts department also produces numerous theater and dance shows every year, while CA chorus and music ensembles hold concerts that welcome both students and parents. In addition, house parents on duty organize their own trips every weekend for CA students and faculty to hang out together. These trips are relatively smaller as they range from making your own granola in their home to shopping at Bedford Plaza.

As CA is located in the middle of a town, students are able to wander freely in extended campus, a portion of Concord town without needing faculty permission. For those who prefer activities in smaller groups, getting donuts, ice cream, pizza, or a cup of coffee is accessible by just going down the street. Boarders who wish to make a trip outside of extended campus on their own or with their friends simply need to fill in a slip and obtain approval from their houseparents.
CA has spent an incredible amount of effort in finding ways for students to enjoy their weekends to the fullest extent, which contributes to the creation of a home away from home for all.