How Does CA Scheduling Work?

Audrey Zhang ’22, Staff Writer

One of the many unique aspects of CA is its daily schedule. Instead of having the same eight periods every day, CA uses block scheduling which means that each day of the week consists of a different combination of classes. Like a college class schedule, classes only meet two or three times a week.

Each class is assigned to a lettered block ranging from “A Block” to “G Block”. Every letter block is held during the same three times of the week for all students, but the class that is taken varies. As a result, no two students share the same schedule or learning experience. If the student does not have class during a block, it is called a “free”. That period can be spent as the student pleases; some students, for example, use the time to complete assignments, meet with teachers, or hang out with friends. 

With block scheduling, each day consists of a sequence of three long blocks, which are eighty minutes long, and two short blocks, which are forty-five minutes long. Typically, majors (English, History, Foreign Languages, Math, and Science) meet three times a week, twice during long blocks and once during short blocks. On the other hand, minors (Arts) meet only twice a week for two long blocks.

Although different than most schools, students enjoy this type of schedule as it makes the school days less monotonous and students more engaged. Darley Boit ’21 commented, “At my old school, we’d have the same classes more or less every day. I like the block schedule more because it makes classes more interesting and less repetitive.” 

Block scheduling also allows teachers to plan accordingly based on class time and moreover, provides students with the flexibility to pursue different interests and allows for an even better class experience. 

Gillian Foley ’22 finds the scheduling conducive to creating her own study schedule. “The CA block schedule is helpful to me because it is easier to manage assignments and allows for more thorough class discussions. Additionally, having a major class three times a week as opposed to every day gives me the ability to work to my fullest potential for homework and projects.” 

This type of schedule also makes changing classes very simple. If a student wishes to add or drop classes to their existing schedule, they may do so in the first week of every semester. Referred to as the “add/drop” period, students are given a week to decide if they like their current schedule or not. If they want to make changes, students can fill out “add/drop” forms based on the list posted in the Upper Stu-Fac comprising of all currently open classes. Classes are identified by the block they take place in, making it easy for students to distinguish what classes will fit within their schedule.