The Student News Site of Concord Academy

What Art Class Do I Take?

A Brief Overview of Concord Academy's Art Program

Photo Courtesy of Concord Academy

Photo Courtesy of Concord Academy

CA - Website

CA - Website

Photo Courtesy of Concord Academy

Mary Craig, Staff Writer

With a 78-page course catalog, Concord Academy offers a daunting amount of classes to choose from. As a freshman, however, most of your options lie in the arts: an expansive and unpredictable department. You’re charged with fulfilling 10 art credits, 2 in performing and 2 in visual, with the hard deadline of graduation. This may seem like a scary demand to meet, but you will find yourself falling in love with a new talent you had never even thought of trying before.

The Performing Arts Department offers music, dance, and theater classes. Music courses range from individual music instruction and music history to various choral and instrumental groups. Perhaps you could receive your performing arts credit by learning to play a new instrument. If you’re feeling courageous, you might find your own theatrical voice in Theatre 1 or find your own movement style in Dance 1. For more accomplished singers, dancers, and actors, each of these departments has its own company reserved for the most dedicated and well-versed students.

The Math and Arts Center (MAC) houses key classrooms for visual arts courses: filmmaking, photography, drawing, ceramics, painting, and fiber arts. The hallways of the MAC are usually lined with beautiful and innovative artwork by fellow classmates. While taking a photo class can mean long hours in the dark room, many students become very passionate about photography and produce incredible work. In ceramics classes you can create your own cups, bowls, and plates; in fiber arts courses you can design your own clothing. Although Drawing 1 and Painting 1 may seem like the more practical options to begin a foray into the visual arts, Fiber Arts: Tye Die, is also a great starting place for wary students. In addition, there are printmaking, sculpture, architecture, graphic design, bookmaking, and art history classes.

Making its debut this year is a course entitled Dance, Music, and the New Media which merges those three disciplines. Students develop their own choreography and create thought-provoking films showcasing their work. Also new this year, Fundamentals of Production Design teaches students how to explore the technical work that goes into setting the scene of any play or musical. Finally, actors, dancers, and filmmakers will work together in The Feature Film: Performance Track to create a movie musical for the first time this year.

Hopefully, you now have some ideas for a new passion you would like to pursue. So while drop/add is still happening, explore your options! There are countless classes ready to test and hone your artistic abilities.