The Student News Site of Concord Academy

Winterfest 2017

Ashley Kim '19, Staff Writer

Last Saturday, February 4, Concord Academy held one of the major annual winter events, Winterfest. Winterfest is the exciting  event that fundraises for the coming year’s financial aid. The majority of CA students attended Winterfest 2017, which made the Student-Faculty Center very hectic.

Winterfest began with various clubs selling goods or holding small contests.

The freshmen class sold short and long sleeve shirts in blue and gray colors, while the sophomore class held a jail event and arrested students according to the warrants written by other students. Many students bought the shirts.

Also a silent auction was held. Students bet various amount of money to the handmade items or coupons donated by CA faculty members and/or CA parents. All the money raised through this event was donated to CA for the financial aids.

After, everyone moved to the Performing Art Center (P.A.C) for the talent show. Ten groups of CA students performed various talents such as singing, dancing, yo-yoing, and card magic. All the  performances were very engaging and fascinating.

After the talent show, Mary Craig (’17) and Kunaal Verma (’17) announced the ticket numbers for the raffle. The gifts were the donations from CA parents or local stores, which varied from small gift cards to the bluetooth speaker. The raffle was very intense, but also entertaining. Students who had the raffle ticket of the number they announced were very happy and ran down to the stage to receive the gift.

Winterfest ended with the senior pieing. The student who bet the most on one of the seniors during the auction got to pie that senior. Because many seniors volunteered to get pied this year, only seniors with the top ten highest bids got the chance to be pied. This year’s Winterfest was over around 10pm.  Helen Wu (’19) said after the event, “I really enjoyed Winterfest, especially because I got to make liquid nitrogen ice cream at the chemistry club table. I look forward to next year’s Winterfest, and I hope I can win something during the raffle next year.” Winterfest 2017 provided enjoyable time for many people as well as raised a huge amount of money for the financial aid.