The Student News Site of Concord Academy

Concord Academy Art: Curated By Students

Concord Academy

Concord Academy

Helen Wu, Staff Writer

Concord Academy

Student Art Show at the Concord Public Library

From February 1st to 28th, a special art exhibit at the Concord Free Public Library (CPL) will feature art by Concord Academy students. Curated by students from Peter Boskey’s ’08 Advanced Fiber Art Course and Cynthia Katz’s Photo 3 Course, Concord Academy Art: Curated by Students features student art from a variety of visual arts courses including, Painting, Ceramics, Photo, and Fiber Arts. Tucked away snugly in the second story of the CPL, the exhibit’s private space with a small balcony boasts an intimate yet spacious room full of diverse art forms. One’s eyes will jump from the yellow Lego sculpture in the front and center of the room to the thought provoking creative self portraits on the wall, and swiftly to the vibrant fiber arts quilts. The art displayed here is a wonderful sampler of the diverse talents CA artists possess.

For some curators, the creative process of organizing the exhibit also added another dimension to appreciating the vast array of student art. Nora Zhou ’17 from Boskey’s class passionately stated: “It’s amazing that CA students have so many talents, and it is especially amazing that they can see beauty in the trivial things in their lives. There is a very artistic photo of orange peels which exemplifies this.” Zhou also noticed how the art can be personal to the artist: “I actually really liked Tenzin Rosson’s ’18 ceramic work too. He made a mini sculpture for an ancient Rome figure. I’ve been in the same Latin class with him, so it’s quite fun to recognize the figure and see that CA students really have a sense of humor in art.”

“Curating an exhibit is a challenging activity, since it is not only a matter of finding beautiful art but also finding a visual thread that ties the pieces together. We wanted to observe the relationships and juxtapositions within the art. Nora and I collaborated to choose five pieces, and we decided on two simultaneous themes: from Eastern Art to Western Art, and from the abstract to the concrete.” stated Selina ’19, a student curator from CA. It is interesting to discover the amount of work that goes behind setting up an art show and debuting the final product. For those who have not yet explored the stunning student artwork displayed at the exhibit, it awaits your artistic eye!