The Student News Site of Concord Academy

Commencement Speaker Profile: Maura Healey

Yoon Kim '18, Arts Editor

Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey will be joining the Concord Academy community in celebrating the graduation of the class of 2017 on June 2, 2017. Healey grew up in Hampton Falls, New Hampshire, a small town just past the border of Massachusetts. After graduating high school, Healey left New Hampshire to attend Harvard University where she received her Bachelor’s Degree and was a co-captain of the women’s basketball team. Healey went on to play for a professional basketball team in Austria, but returned to the United States after two years to earn her Juris Doctor at Northeastern University.        Prior to her career in public office, Healey worked as a private attorney and junior partner at WilmerHale, a private law firm based in Boston. She then served as a prosecutor in Middlesex County before being hired to work for the Massachusetts Attorney General Office. Here, Healey helped lead the office as the chief of the Civil Rights Division and directed the Public Protection & Advocacy Bureau and the Business & Labor Bureau. In October 2013, she announced her candidacy in the election for the next attorney general of Massachusetts. At the beginning of her campaign, she was described as a candidate with “experience, passion and vision for the office” and the goal to “make a positive difference in the lives of Massachusetts residents.”

Healey won Attorney General in her first-ever run for office, an impressive feat in a highly contested race. This also marked a win for grassroots campaigning and the many individuals who worked to help get her elected. Sworn in at the historic Faneuil Hall in Boston, Healey vowed to work to ensure equality for all Massachusetts residents and make communities safer. Since the beginning of her term in January 2015, Healey has worked as an advocate for the disenfranchised, tackling workplace rights, housing issues, the opioid epidemic, student loans, and community engagement through her newly established Community Engagement Division. With policy initiatives such as the Earned Sick Time Law, Domestic Workers’ Bill of Rights, Pay Equity, and Pregnant Workers Fairness bills, Healey and her office are at the forefront of shaping state legislation and the criminal justice system to expand opportunities for all. The first openly gay state Attorney General to be elected in America, Healey has also stood up for LGBTQ+ rights. Most recently, Healey has joined a new commission to counteract the Trump administration’s commission on “election integrity”with twelve other voting rights advocates.

In this way, many of Healey’s strives towards equity and justice resonate with Concord Academy’s own efforts to ensure equity in its community and its mission to embrace a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives.